We welcome everyone to visit the Seton Shrine, a historic site and museum that’s home to the first American-born saint, Saint Elizabeth Ann Seton. Located 10 miles south of Gettysburg and 20 miles north of Frederick in Emmitsburg, MD, people of all backgrounds enjoy our museum and the guided tours of our historic site.
Things to Do
- Discover the inspirational story of Saint Elizabeth Ann Seton on our Historic Homes Tour. The tour takes you inside our historic sites-the two homes Elizabeth Ann Seton lived in, as well as outside through our peaceful grounds and historic cemetery. You’ll also have a chance to see the Basilica where Saint Elizabeth Ann Seton’s remains are entombed. The tour is available Monday through Saturday at 10:30am, 11:30am, 12:30pm, 2:30pm, 3:30pm and 4:30pm. Please note: the tour at 11:30am on Wednesdays has been replaced with the living history tour, Catherine Comes Home. Learn more about Catherine Comes Home here.
- The Historic Homes Tour lasts approximately 45-60 minutes, and tickets are $8/adult, $6/youth ages 7-18, and free for children ages 6 and under.
- On Sundays, the living history tour, Catherine Comes Home, is available at 12:15pm, 1pm, 1:45pm, 2:40pm, 3:30pm and 4:15pm.
- Enjoy free admission to our museum with a variety of exhibits, including a Civil War exhibit.
- Free film about Elizabeth Ann Seton’s life; about 12 minutes long.
When you visit, plan to spend 1.5-2 hours for the 12-minute film, the tour, and the museum.
It’s Easy to Find Us Between Frederick and Gettysburg
We’re located about 20 miles north of Frederick, Maryland, along U.S. Route 15. If you’re looking for things to do in Frederick, check out the links below. Be sure to include a visit to our historic site and museum when you visit Frederick.
If you’re traveling to Gettysburg and looking for things to do, we’re just 10 miles south of Gettysburg along U.S. Route 15 in Emmitsburg, MD. Include us in your Gettysburg travel plans…we welcome everyone to tour our historic sites and museum.
Parking is free. Follow signs for visitor parking when you arrive at our historic site.
The Visitor Center, Museum, Basilica and Gift Shop are open Mon. through Sat. 10am-6pm and Sun. 12-6pm.
The grounds and historic cemetery are open year-round from dawn to dusk.