On this specialty tour, discover all that the Sisters experienced around the time of the Battle of Gettysburg, and how they cared for the wounded on both sides.
As the bloodiest battle of the Civil War raged just miles from the peaceful home of the Sisters, they could not ignore the call to go and care for the wounded. After the Battle of Gettysburg was over, casualties totaled over 50,000. The Sisters traveled 12 miles north to the heart of the battlegrounds to care for the wounded soldiers from the North and the South. Their charitable efforts brought healing and solace to the wounded on both the battlefields and in hospitals. Through their selfless acts, the Sisters were examples of Elizabeth Ann Seton’s legacy of compassion, service to man, and devotion to God.
Join us for this tour that captures how the Sisters provided hope in the midst of suffering and despair.
2019 Civil War Sisters Tour for Individuals and Groups of Nine or Less
Tour Dates: Saturdays during the summer, from June 1-August 31
Tour Time: 11:30am and 1:30pm
Cost: $8/adult, $6/youth ages 7-18, and free for children ages six and under.
2019 Civil War Sisters Tour for Groups
Tour Dates: April-November, at your convenience with reservation in advance.
Time: At your convenience with reservation in advance.
The Civil War Sisters Group Tour is available to groups of 10 or more, with a discounted rate of $5/person. We kindly request that you schedule at least one month prior to your visit.
We look forward to seeing you!
What to expect on the tour:
- This guided walking tour is primarily outdoors.
- The tour lasts 45-60 minutes.
- The grounds and walkways are handicap-accessible.
Extras to Add to Your Experience:
- Back again in 2019, we’ll have Civil War Sisters Stories at 12:45pm in our museum for free. Find out more here.
- View the Civil War Sisters exhibit in our museum for free.
- Ask the receptionist to view the Civil War documentary film (30 minutes in length). Free for all visitors.